Friday, November 11, 2011

Back Looking for Giants

OK, admittedly it has been too long but it's time to get back to our roots of finding trees and capturing history.

When researching the film Dreams in the Wilderness I heard about a "big tree that 6 people could hold hands and barely reach around". Needless to say, I was a bit skeptical. I've had it on my list for two years to go check out but being I haven't come across a descent big tree in a long time, I just didn't do it.

Well, I gave myself a little Veteran's Day gift and got off work about 10:00, then headed up I-90. There is some great old growth up there, even between the two elevated highways in the picnic area.

To my surprise, the big tree is there. In fact, I think it should be called the Humpback Giant. It measures out at 29' 6" at the base, about 9' 5" in diameter and 229' tall. It even still has it's original. Not sure why the loggers left it, it is only about 100 yards from the railroad grade with stumps all around. Maybe they didn't want to cross the stream (most of the logging is on the east side of Humpback creek)?

There, told you how to find it! There's even a nice campsite by it with a fire ring. Have fun! I did.

No comments: